Monday, November 26, 2007

Wedding

>>>People Spotting>>>

I attended a wedding in KL yesterday, and it wasn't exactly the most lavish wedding I ever saw. The ceiling decoration was not elaborate, the centerpiece of the VIP table was made of fake plastic flowers, the background of the stage did not have the wedding couple's name on it, the atmosphere and the lighting were all wrong. And, the wedding was held in the afternoon, so the guests were dressed a little too casual, and I was wearing semi-formal.

However, the hugest turnoff of the wedding was the guests smoked. If it was one thing I simply cannot stand anywhere at anytime, it is inhaling secondary smoke. The mere foul smell of it gets me irritated, especially when I was about to eat while the restaurant was in oppressive heat. I was gripping the glass of Coke tightly, because I was afraid if I loosened my grip, I will lose self-control and drench both of the smokers behind my table with Coke. And, I mean from head to toe.

While food was served, a guy from one of the tables went up the stage and started singing to provide the guests entertainment. I don't understand why the guests completely ignored his singing. When he was done, said thank you, and looked up expectantly, obviously waiting for applause, none came. Except for a single clapping, which came from me. I cannot believe it. Out of so many guests, I was the only one who appreciated his singing. His singing was honestly not bad, and the songs were not deadly traditional. For a wedding performance, it was in fact good enough. The poor guy sang his heart out, with all his emotions, and yet, no applause came to him. I was surprised that he did not seemed discouraged, and after 10 minutes or so, he went up the stage and sang a different song again. Again, I was the only one applauding him. He kept singing at intervals while dishes were served. Again and again, I was the only one applauding him, and my brothers reluctantly followed me after I urged them to do so.

I honestly feel sorry for him. It must have took him a lot of effort to muster up the courage and sing so many times for the guests with no applause as reward. I really admire his spirit and attitude of not feeling the least discouraged and persevere till the end of all his songs. He still sang every song with enthusiasm. If it was me on the stage singing and at the end, there was no applause at all, I will be mortified beyond measurement and will never sing in public for the rest of my life. I learned something valuable from him in that wedding.

You know what I hated most about the wedding? Not the fake centerpiece, not the atmosphere of the restaurant, not even the smokers. What I hated most was the behaviour of the guests who were too busy stuffing their faces with food or puffing smoke from their cigarettes, that they treated the poor guy on the stage invisible. That irritated me even more than the smokers. Okay, enough about the wedding.

Here is a photo I took last Tuesday at Yin Li's house:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home