Friday, December 12, 2008

Holidays and the Year 2008

Holidays and the Year 2008

This year certainly flied past. It was as if the 'Forward' button was pressed and you're plonked with a 'You're Here!' sign when you have absolutely no idea how you ended up here so quickly in the first place.

Right, this year was not as eventful as last year, but certainly more exhausting. I still don’t know how I pulled it through for the final exams. It was like I was running a thousand-mile marathon, just stopping for brief intervals for rest. By the end of it though, it was all worth it. Thank God that I did not have those horrendous nightmares where I was seated in front of a desk, a pen in hand and exam papers to work on. It was truly exhausting having those nightmares - I had to actually think on how to phrase my answers (because I was not aware that it was just a dream), plus getting cold sweat after I woke up, thinking, “Oh, shit! Did I answered it correctly?”, to find that the methods I used in my nightmare was fundamentally wrong in the first place. Huh.

About my personal life, everything's been pretty stagnant, apart from the death of my grandfather. My friendship with Laine and Yin had strengthened, and I made a few new friends (Pau Ching, Wei Wen etc.). However, up till now, not one of any new friends I made can beat up to the strong, mutual friendship I have with Laine and Yin. They are always there for me, and I never saw the discriminating or disgusted glint in their eyes when they look at me. They never make me feel stupid of myself, neither did they step brutally and cruelly onto my confidence. When we’re together, I feel carefree, weightless, even. We talk like there’s no boundaries because there’s rarely the need to filter what we want to say before we actually speak. Our same thoughts often come simultaneously one after another, as if there’s invisible linkers linking our train of thoughts together. When we laugh, we never care if our laughter is too loud or if we’re snorting uncontrollably, because we unravel ourselves in front of each other, without the complicated, elaborately decorated wrappers and ribbons. We just be our true selves, and the need to pretend to be what we’re not rarely arises. That was why the holiday we took together at Sg. Lembing and Kuantan just a few days ago was definitely the Highlight of 2008. But, more on that later.

In terms of my romantic life, nothing significant occurred. Of course, I was more exposed to different people and personalities, but have not yet found anybody that could exhilarate me enough to make me pump up my energy to juggle both studies and relationships. This year was exhausting and busy enough without having to care for someone else's emotional needs as well. Although yeah, I was tempted to. Sometimes nearing midnight though, I longed for someone to soothe me with gentle words or to hear me rant out my frustrations after a long, hard day. And, when your girl cousin comes to stay at your house and asked you subtly but smugly if you're still single, you sometimes wished that you could throw 'No, I have a lovely boyfriend' back to her face just to shut her up from ploughing on about her lovely boyfriend.

During the holidays, I'm totally hooked on ER, Ugly Betty, Reaper and Friends. I'm not drooling over George Clooney in ER, for your information. John Carter, the doctor intern is more of my taste. I've read a total of approximately 6 books, but my holiday pick is definitely 'The Post-Birthday World' by Lionel Shriver. It's beautifully written and absorbing - I was entranced from start to finish.

From 28th to 30th of November, I went to a holiday camp with my brothers and cousin. It was the best camp I've ever wen to, despite the excruciating physical challenges. I was the leader of the Yellow Team (all 4 of us were in different groups). My leadership skills were honed well there. Although my team only won the 4th place out of 8 teams, my 8 team members were all a tight-knit group with the exception of 2. Besides, my group was the only group praised for our undying spirit of perseverance - we refused to give up in a competition where there where other teams who sabotaged us. So yes, I was proud of my team!

Unfortunately, I had chikungunya fever (similar to dengue, but less fatal), a type of viral infection after the camp due to numerous mosquito bites. Mosquitoes are evil - they bit me even when I was bathing! Anyway, a mosquito of Aedes-infected strain must have bitten me, because I was covered with angry red rashes all over my body. I'm like the freaking Spotty Monster. But apart from the rash, everything was normal - no fever, headache, joint/ bones pains. The first doctor couldn't diagnosed anything and though it was just allergy. The second doctor was smarter and drawn blood form my veins, therefore diagnosing it as viral infection (my platelets and white blood cells had a drop). Consequently, I was in a rather bad state when I went to the Sg. Lembing/ Kuantan trip with Yin, Laine and my family. Not that I was feeling unwell, but I was really conscious about my spotty appearance. Nonetheless, all of us managed to scale up a hill and had a fantastic feeling of being on cloud nine (I must be the first person with a mild case of dengue to have done that!). However, when we went to Hyatt Regency, I was unable to enjoy the beach or pool because I can't wear my swimsuit due to that spotty appearance. Laine and Yin were really good, they never even discriminated me and kept encouraging me to swim despite my protests. I only gave in on the last day of our vacation after Laine threatened me with dire repercussions if I did not swim.

I'll have to describe my holiday camp and vacation in my next post (with photos), because this post is already too long. So, stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home